On Thursday, March 23, 2017, the cast and creatives of BBC America’s Orphan Black were honored at The Paley Center for Media’s annual PaleyFest TV festival. Here are 17 things we learned at the panel!
17 Things We Learned About Orphan Black at PaleyFest:
- The cast JUST wrapped filming. About 36 hours ago.
- Their final moment of filming wrapped in the wee hours of the morning, around 4:30am. The cast joked that they didn’t know what to do, that it felt like they were in a funeral. Maria sang a song, though she wouldn’t reveal which song.
- We can expect Rachel to have one of the biggest arcs this season.
- Tatiana talked about how Rachel struggles because she doesn’t want to identify as a clone, even though she is.
- There will be a lot of character specific episodes this season.
- When the cast and Executive Producers were asked how many clones there are, they weren’t exactly sure. A fan from the audience knew the answer – 9 alive clones!
- Kristian Bruun (Donnie) joked that he “won’t be winning husband of the year” after talking about something that happens in the episode we saw – which I won’t spoil for you.
- Tatiana and Kristian met for the very first time on their first day of shooting. To which Kristian talks about how crazy and odd it is when Tatiana is the different characters. He says you feel like you’re acting with different actors.
- Jordan Gavaris (Felix) said that Rachel is the most disorienting for him because he was weirdly attracted to her personality. He felt like he wanted her to like him.
- Tatiana is VERY humble. She never wanted to accept all the praise everyone was constantly showering her with. She is always quick to give credit to her scene partners and talked about how they treat her differently when she is the different characters, which in turn helps her performance.
- Tatiana’s stand in (Kathryn Alexandre) is a vital part of the show, though she receives such little credit. She will constantly give great performances while standing in, yet the world never gets to see it. I thought it was very lovely how much the cast and producers acknowledged her in the panel.
- There was a really adorable moment between Kathryn and Tatiana where they were talking back and forth about how great one another was. They were practically arguing over complimenting each other the most. It was very endearing.
- Be on the lookout for Episode 4 this season – it is a favorite among the cast!
- Evelyne Rochu (Delphine) spoke a lot about how liberating it is that there’s a relationship between two women in the show and their biggest problems are not the fact that they’re two women.
- Josh Vokey (Scott) was initially supposed to only work for one day on set. Five years later and he’s still here.
- Ari Millen (Mark) joked about his character saying he has no instincts and he’s a little incestuous but “what the hell. You learn the most from your frustration.” Through playing this character he got to explore a side of himself he didn’t know. He views him as innocent.
- Everyone listed their favorite clones. They were as follows:
Executive Producer John Fawcett: Alison then switched to Rachel
Executive Producer Graeme Manson: He’s Team Cosima. As they close, Sarah
Jordan Gavaris: Crystal
Tatiana Maslany: Alison hard to say goodbye to. Also Rachel and Helena.
Kevin Hanchard: Katja
Kristian Bruun: Helena
Josh Vokey: Cosima
Ari Millen: Helena
Kathryn Alexandre: MK – she loved playing her
Maria Doyle Kennedy: her favorite child, Sarah
Evelyn Brochu: Cosima