At Comic-Con, Supernatural fans were treated to some casting news for upcoming spinoff Wayward Sisters.
Warner Bros. Television’s long-running, fan-favorite series Supernatural (Thursdays 8/7c The CW) is “carrying on” with the confirmed casting for a potential new Wayward Sisters series, set in the world of Supernatural. Cast and producers at Supernatural’s packed Hall H panel at Comic-Con gave further details about the upcoming episode, including officially announcing the cast. While some faces will be familiar to fans of the Winchesters, there were also a few surprises.
Scheduled to air as an episode within Supernatural’s 13th season, Wayward Sisters is written by Andrew Dabb and Robert Berens, who will executive produce along with Robert Singer and Phil Sgriccia. Centered on the character of Sheriff Jody Mills and a group of troubled young women — all orphaned by supernatural tragedy — these “wayward sisters” emerge as a formidable force against the supernatural, under Mills’s training and protection.
- Leading the group is Sioux Falls Sheriff Jody Mills (Kim Rhodes – Colony, Kings of Con), an associate of Bobby Singer, who has grown to be one of Sam and Dean Winchester’s most trusted friends and allies. A foster mother to Claire Novak, Alex Jones and new character Patience Turner, Jody’s greatest challenge will be to prepare them for the battles ahead.
- Lending Jody a hand will be series fan-favorite Sheriff Donna Hanscum (Briana Buckmaster – Arrow, Frequency), a relative novice to the hunter’s life, but a close friend who Jody can confide in.
- Claire Novak (Kathryn Newton – Big Little Lies, Manchester by the Sea) was introduced to the supernatural world when her father became the vessel for the angel Castiel (series star Misha Collins). Now, a gifted hunter, she lives with Jody, but struggles against her rules.
- Also taken in under Jody’s wing, Alex Jones (Katherine Ramdeen – The Tall Man, Almost Human) was rescued by the Winchesters from a family of vampires who used her as a lure for unsuspecting humans. Traumatized by the violence, she has resolved not to hunt…until a threat emerges in Sioux Falls that threatens her new family.
- A new member of the Wayward Sisterhood is the character Patience Turner (Clark Backo – Designated Survivor), a high school over-achiever whose life is turned upside down when she discovers she’s a powerful psychic, a gift she inherited from her estranged grandmother (and season one Supernatural character) Missouri Moseley. Hunted by dark forces for her power, Patience finds refuge with Jody and her wayward family.
In addition to the Wayward Sisters casting, it was also announced that Lawrence, Kansas psychic Missouri Moseley (played by Loretta Devine – The Carmichael Show), who made a memorable appearance as a Winchester family friend in the season one episode “Home,” will also return to Supernatural this season, in an episode to be announced later.
Supernatural returns for its 13th season on Thursday, October 12, in a new time period (8/7c) on The CW.